By: Brad Brooks, TigerText Co-Founder and CEO
Over 6 billion SMS messages are sent every day in the U.S., and almost 9 trillion text messages were sent last year globally. Why?
Because text messages are succinct and immediate.
Nowhere is the need for real-time mobile communication more acute than in healthcare, where patient satisfaction is highly dependent on delivering patients fast and effective care. As a result, we see upwards of 70% of healthcare enterprises regularly using SMS for workplace communication.
While SMS may be a “killer app” for workflow, it is not an enterprise-grade solution. As a technology, it is inherently unmanaged and unsecure – exposing companies to regulatory/compliance risks and leaving sensitive, unencrypted data out in the open to be discovered or compromised, not to mention the reputational damage done to an organization when a breach occurs.
TigerText solves this problem by offering simple, secure and HIPAA compliant texting for the enterprise. Anyone with a smartphone or access to a computer can get up and running on TigerText within 60 seconds.
Indeed, we are seeing incredible results from the more than 3,000 facilities that have already deployed TigerText:
- Radiology and Emergency departments at one Southern California hospital customer are saving an hour day due to fewer unnecessary phone calls by leveraging TigerText’s read and delivery notifications.
- Another hospital client in Texas has significantly improved their HCAHPS score (a patient satisfaction measure used by Medicare to set reimbursement rates) by using TigerText to replace noisy overhead pages that overload many hospital floors.
- One of the largest medical practice networks in the country has saved over $50,000 a month by reducing the number of bed days in its facilities through better care coordination using TigerText’s group messaging functionality. TigerText has radically streamlined its admissions and discharge process.
- A private practice physician and TigerText customer has increased its referrals by 25% from utilizing our real-time communication platform to help patients avoid duplicative tests. With TigerText, staff can rest assured their entire treatment team is looking at the same test results and can further collaborate on next steps for treatment.
We’re barely scratching the surface for where we intend to go. Through our open API (“TigerConnect”) we are integrating into enterprise data systems to allow for rich data to be transmitted via TigerText. For example:
- PointClickCare, the largest electronic medical record platform in the long- term post-acute care space, utilizes TigerText to create instant caregiver groups and disseminate information in real-time to everyone involved.
- Pathology Inc., one of the country’s premier women’s health labs, sends critical lab alerts to its physician customers via TigerText, eliminating the need for faxes or phone calls from expensive lab techs.
- Physicians at Torrance Memorial Medical Center use TigerText to query their on-call schedules via Amion’s scheduling service from directly inside the TigerText app, reducing scheduling errors and increasing staff efficiency.
And these use cases are just the beginning. That is why we are so excited to have raised a new investment round led by Shasta Ventures to help us pursue our vision of a real-time, connected enterprise communication platform that is simple to use and administer. Shasta brings a wealth of experience in understanding how to scale a SaaS business, and in particular, sees the value our solution can have in an industry like healthcare that desperately needs to improve productivity.
In addition, we are fortunate to have Shasta joined in the round by OrbiMed, one of the most successful investors in the healthcare space, along with Reed Elsevier Ventures, the venture arm of the largest business publisher in the world, and Telus Corporation, venture of the largest telecom provider in Canada. All of our Series A investors (Easton Capital, New Science Ventures, and New Leaf Ventures) are participating in this financing as well.
There are four undeniable megatrends happening in technology: 1.) The rise of the smartphone 2.) The infiltration of text messaging into every day work conversations 3.) Wide enterprise adoption of SaaS solutions and 4.) Employees bringing their own devices and using them at work (“BYOD”). We believe we stand at the epicenter of all these trends, with an amazing opportunity to streamline healthcare and enterprise communication in an affordable manner. We can’t wait for this next chapter of TigerText to begin.