What is a HIPAA Compliant Texting App?
A HIPAA compliant texting app is a secure messaging solution which enables healthcare organizations to safeguard electronic protected health information (ePHI) while still allowing an open flow of communication between authorized users.
Apps for HIPAA compliant texting meet healthcare industry standards for security and privacy during the communication of ePHI with a secure alternative to text messaging, and – due to the features included in the secure messaging solution – ensures that system administrators can audit access to encrypted ePHI and any transmission of confidential data in compliance with HIPAA regulations.
Many healthcare facilities use secure texting to keep sensitive communications safe and comply with industry regulations; however, due to multi-platform functionality and helpful features, the use of a HIPAA compliant text app has also been found to enhance employee workflows, increase productivity and raise the standard of patient healthcare.
How do Apps for Texting in Compliance with HIPAA Work?
Apps for texting in compliance with HIPAA work by allowing authorized users access to a software-as-a-service “On Demand” platform to send and receive ePHI in a HIPAA compliant manner. The platform has administrative controls to ensure the integrity of the ePHI – both at rest and in transit – with safeguards in place to prevent unauthorized access – such as the ability to assign message “lifespans” in order that communications delete automatically after a pre-determined time period.
When an authorized user wants to send patient information securely, the recipient receives a notification linking to the received information. The recipient receives the message, but only gains access to the link after authenticating their identity with a unique username and password. Thereafter he or she can read the message, send replies, and upload attachments.
A secure messaging solution such as a HIPAA compliant text app enables multiple parties to be involved in confidential conversations to enhance workflows, increase productivity and reduce costs. In a healthcare environment, apps for texting in compliance with HIPAA can also raise the standard of healthcare receive by patients, as diagnoses, laboratory results, physician consults and discharges can all be accelerated by secure messaging.
The Features and Benefits of Secure Texting Apps
Many of the features of secure texting apps have been developed in order to safeguard sensitive communications and comply with the HIPAA regulations; in addition, many of these features have been found to offer additional benefits, including:
- Medical professionals can communicate from any desktop computer or mobile device, enabling them to receive information about patients “on-the-go” with secure texting.
- Delivery notifications and read receipts confirm delivery of and read messages to the intended recipient – eliminating the need for follow-up emails and phone tag.
- Features such as message recall, message lifespan, and remote wipe help eliminate any threat of sensitive data being compromised if a mobile device is stolen or lost.
- The integration of secure texting apps with a corporate directory allows administrators to quickly manage accessibility settings and users can easily find one another within their network.
- The automatically produced administrator audit logs accelerate risk management analysis and ensure that organizational policies relating to the use of apps for texting adhere to HIPAA compliance regulations.
Each of these features ensure the integrity of ePHI, enhance employee workflows, increase productivity and help to raise the standard of patient healthcare in a cost-efficient manner.
Considerations when Selecting a Secure Messaging Solution
Although many apps for texting in compliance with HIPAA share the same features, not all secure texting apps are the same, and we have produced a white paper – “Top 10 Considerations when Selecting a Secure Messaging Solution” – to help organizations distinguish between TigerText´s HIPAA compliant texting app and other products which are on the market.
Our white paper gives a brief introduction into the HIPAA regulations regarding text messaging and ePHI, and then continues to discuss how to evaluate the technical and functional requirements of secure texting apps, and – possibly more importantly – how to evaluate vendors of apps for texting in compliance with HIPAA.
We suggest considering what a vendor allocates to technology vision – so that their secure messaging solution can cope with changes in work practices, changing technology and future legislation – and recommend that a vendor can demonstrate a positive customer experience. Overall, our white paper is an essential guide to ensuring the most appropriate HIPAA compliant texting app is selected for your specific circumstances.
What´s New in TigerText´s HIPAA Compliant Texting App?
More than 5,000 facilities use TigerText’s HIPAA compliant texting application and we already facilitate more than 150 million secure messages through our secure messaging solution each month. Recently we have introduced new features, allowing for further collaboration and efficienty in the workplace:
- An “is typing” message is now displayed when users are writing a response so that the senders of messages know instantly that a reply is on its way.
- A new delivery escalation function resends notifications within two minutes to alternate SMS and email channels if an initial delivery notification to an authorized user fails.
- An enhanced message forwarding feature makes it easier for colleagues and associates to be securely included in a discussion thread.
- TigerText´s multiple account inbox allows messages from various medical facilities to be accessed from one easy menu when an authorized user belongs to multiple messaging circles.
- A new “Do Not Disturb” feature – which works similar to an “Out of Office” email message – has been integrated into TigerText´s HIPAA compliant texting app V4.0.
Speak with TigerText about Secure Texting
To find out more about TigerText´s app for texting in compliance with HIPAA, you are invited to download and read our white paper – “Top 10 Considerations when Selecting a Secure Messaging Solution” – and then contact us with an questions you may have about secure texting apps in general or TigerText´s HIPAA compliant texting app V4.0.
Alternatively, you are welcome to read our case studies, which provide further examples of how TigerText´s secure messaging solution can enhance employee workflows, increase productivity and raise the standard of patient healthcare or request a free demonstration of TigerText´s HIPAA compliant texting app in action.